Future Flight Cafe: Skybus: Transforming mobility through a mass air transport system
Hear about project Skybus – a transformative mode of travel taking a “system of systems” approach. This project is evaluating the operational, technical and economic feasibility of a network of large (30-50 pax) electric Vertical Take-Off & Landing (eVTOL) vehicles.
The network could offer a larger, cheaper and more accessible mobility solution in the most congested urban areas. Skybus takes the “Park and Ride” concept into the air for mass transit over extremely congested routes, reducing travel time and creating affordable fares.
Webinar recording is now available
To develop the project further, the team seek engagement from infrastructure investors and developers and local authorities.
You can read the full Phase 2 project summary here.
Phase 3 of the Future Flight Challenge competition is now open providing organisations the opportunity to bid for funding. To help you prepare and form new partnerships, KTN’s Future Flight Café series of short, online webinars can help. Each spotlight one previously funded project followed by a discussion and question session.
Who should watch?
The Future Flight Challenge needs diverse technologies, services and infrastructure to deliver an advanced aviation system. These webinars are ideal for those with expertise in sectors including data, digital, design, business models, automation, alternative fuels, air traffic management or social science. They’re also a must-watch for Local Authorities, end-users (e.g. NHS, Network Rail, asset owners) and partners (e.g. airports, infrastructure and asset owners), all key enablers to the success of the programme.
The Future Flight Café online series provides a forum to discuss ideas and create new opportunities. If you are working on a Future Flight Challenge project, want to get involved or even start your own project, take a look at the series.
By the end of each webinar you will have learnt more about the competition, one of the ongoing Future Flight Challenge projects and could have found a new connection to start your own Future Flight journey.
Here’s the full series:
- 11th June | New situational awareness technologies towards integrated UAV operations
- 25th June | Transforming off-shore wind farm inspection using drone swarms
- 9th July | UK’s first remote low-carbon aviation test centre
- 16th July | Towards an innovative drone medical delivery network
- 23rd July | Transforming flight planning for the future aviation systems of systems
- 30th July | Towards a zero carbon, affordable, scalable and safer sub-regional air transport network
- 6th August | Towards a fully optimised and sustainable freight & logistics operational model
- 11th August | Delivering an integrated electric aviation system
- 13th August | Creating the first 19-seat hybrid electric aircraft
- 20th August | World first dynamic safe zone system for autonomous urban flight
- 27th August | SKYDROCELL: Improving autonomous flight safety with 3D risk maps
- 3rd September | Skybus: Transforming mobility through a mass air transport system
- 9th September | Creating an integrated and scalable flight management system for drones
- 10th September | ATOMICUS: Creating an integrated air cargo solution
- 14th September | Creating a safe coordinated operational environment for drones
- 17th September | Developing zero emission UAV flight