5G-Enabled Road and Rail Transport Trials in the West Midlands
¬£2.5 million to be invested in innovation projects that develop a new service or product.
West Midlands 5G¬†(WM5G), in partnership with the¬†Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport¬†(DCMS),¬†West Midlands Combined Authority¬†and¬†in collaboration with¬†Innovate UK, will invest up to ¬£2.5 million in¬†innovation¬†projects that develop a new service or product. These must improve road and rail operational efficiency, provide better-connected transport or improve the experience for travellers.
Additional information on the¬†5G¬†‚Äì enabled road and rail transport trials in the West Midlands competition call:
Project applications must focus on one of the use cases listed in the specific themes below and be suitable for trial in the West Midlands using the live 5G environment. They must demonstrate how 5G is essential to developing your new service or product and offers a significant enhancement compared to current mobile communications.
- Improvements in the operation of roads to reduce congestion, emissions and improve safety.
- Improvements in train, tram or bus services to enhance the operational efficiency or service offered.
- Better joined-up public transport services (bus, train, tram).
These projects must improve road and¬†rail¬†operational efficiency, provide better-connected¬†transport, more cohesive travel solutions and transport information, or improve traveller experience.
- Projects up to 12 months long have a maximum grant funding of ¬£500,000.
- For projects up to 18 months long, maximum grant funding is ¬£1.0 million.
- The grant must be no more than 50% of the total eligible project costs.
- Closing date: 15th May 2020.
This is the first competition of its kind and will be followed by other competitions in due course.
Webcast recording and slides are now available:
Find the slides¬†here.
Click here for more details on the funding.