Using biotechnology to produce high value and sustainable natural products
Natural product biotechnology has an important role to play in the development of sustainable technologies and the circular economy.
Examples of natural product biotechnology include technologies underpinning the identification, purification, processing and application of high-value bioactive chemicals from the marine environment (wild harvesting and aquaculture), native plants and crop species, and microbiological sources.
The 2017 Natural Product Biotechnology (NPB 2017) event is an international and multidisciplinary research, knowledge transfer and business development conference focused on biotechnology and high value natural products. It will take place on 25th ‚Äì 26th September 2017 at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre.
This event aims to engage people and organisations from across the life science and biotechnology communities to discuss natural product resources and sustainable feedstocks, sustainable technologies and the circular economy.
KTN‚Äôs Dr Yvonne Armitage (Bioeconomy Specialist) and Prof Bryan Hanley (Food Specialist) are both on the¬†scientific steering group. Yvonne will chair the¬†Innovative Technologies in Bioprocessing session and Bryan will chair the Added value from Science – the Scientific and Commercial Future for Natural Products session.
Photo galleries are not available for content from the previous KTN website: we apologise for this.
Conference sessions will include:
- Natural Product Identification – The isolation and characterisation of bioactive compounds from wild plants, crop species, the marine environment and microbial sources
- Innovative Technologies in Bioprocessing – Microbial production and downstream processing
- The Sustainability of the Supply of Raw Materials and Feedstocks – The scope for sustainably exploiting natural capital. Consistency and quality of supply, the contribution of plant science, marine biology and aquaculture
- Developing Innovative Technologies
- Added Value from Science ‚Äì the Scientific and Commercial Future for Natural Products
- Natural Products as Functional Nutritional Ingredients
You can find out more about the NPB 2017 conference here.
NPB 2017 is being held in conjunction with the Joint International Conference on the Mechanism of Action of Nutraceuticals and International Union of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Natural Products Section (ICMAN-IUPHAR) which will take place on 27th -29th September, in the same venue.