Knowledge Transfer Manager Aviation
Innovate UK KTN Transport Strategy
The Transport Team at Innovate UK KTN have four priority areas:
Our aim is to help expedite the transition of transport to net zero by connecting innovators to the right experts, services, technology and finance to develop their project. We will use insight and intelligence to inform our focus areas to build and strengthen net zero supply chains.
2) Automation across the modes
Automation is a key enabler to reducing emissions, improving efficiencies in movements, and improving safety across the modes. We work to translate the technologies developed in the automotive industry to other modes and build the supply chains to maximise deployment commercialisation.
3) Connected transport
Digital and physical connectivity creates a more efficient transport system. We work with businesses to help them leverage data, digital technologies and create new business models to generate a more seamless door-to-door transport system.
4) Accessible and Inclusive Transport
Everyone has the right to access transport. Disabilities impact 13.9 million people in the UK with a lack of accessible transport constituting a significant barrier to life. We work with transport operators, innovators, and disability communities to implement novel technologies, business models and services to ensure transport is accessible by all.
Purpose of the Role
The applicant must have substantial knowledge and experience of either advanced air mobility or sustainable aviation fuel. This should be clear in the application along with supporting evidence.
To lead and deliver programmes of work to enable business transformation and implementation of new aviation solutions. With strong industry experience, the post holder should be able to work effectively with senior government officials and industry leaders. You will be quick thinking, proactive and experienced in operating in a dynamic environment. The main programmes of work are:
(1) Jet Zero Council. Providing secretariat function to the Jet Zero Council Sustainable Aviation Fuel Delivery Group (JZC SAFDG) sub-groups and providing operational support for the Head of Transport on the JZC CEO Steering Group, JZC SAFDG plus supporting the JZC Secretariat as required. The role will involve troubleshooting, working with colleagues in Innovate UK KTN to ensure progress of different activities, updating key Jet Zero Council documents and CRM.
(2) Future Flight Challenge. To work with colleagues at UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) to co-deliver the Future Flight Challenge programme. The post-holder will be experienced in matrix management and leading a project team to ensure deliverables and milestones are met. The programme is now in the scale-up and deployment phase, hence you will be responsible for identifying avenues to connect consortia to end-users, finance, and the value chain.
(3) Sustainable Aviation Fuel Innovation Programme. Delivering the new Sustainable Aviation Fuel Innovation Programme to build the UK SAF supply chain. Working with industry and academia to identify capability and expertise to broker introductions and new collaborations. Working with colleagues across Innovate UK KTN to ensure deliverables and milestones are met. Conduct technical analyses and chair working groups and networking events. This programme is one of Innovate UK KTN’s pledges to the Jet Zero Council.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To lead and deliver programmes of work to enable business transformation and implementation of new aviation solutions.
- Connecting companies and other innovation stakeholders to each other, through targeted introductions and collaborations to maximise impact on UK economic growth
- Support development and implementation of future transport strategies (e.g. Innovate UK KTN Transport strategy and Innovate UK Transport Vision 2050) and company plan.
- Develop and maintain a broad knowledge of government’s aviation policies to ensure the relevant context is maintained to support and drive effective activities.
- Be continuously aware of the latest research and information relating to aviation as well as gathering and analysing insights to inform future programmes of work.
- Draft correspondence, minutes, produce presentations and reports with technical context and proofread documents with a high attention to detail.
- Facilitate networking opportunities for industry to meet with peers and potential collaborators through the organisation of workshops and meetings.
- Meet with companies, research institutions and universities, in the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities (face to face or online).
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with external stakeholders, departments, forums, and groups active in related areas.
- Deliver and assist in the support of new funding streams related to industrial challenges including delivering collaboration events.
- Deliver key business metrics agreed with line manager, and to track progress, capturing outcomes and success stories
- Engage across the Innovate UK KTN to stimulate cross-sector collaboration and support colleagues
- Undertake reporting obligations in line with Innovate UK KTN goals for impact measurement
- Leads on workshops/programme delivery, with high levels of company seniority or complexity
- Takes responsibility for complex and new areas, scoping out the challenge and defining knowledge transfer activities to meet a defined outcome.
- Identify new opportunities that can support the specific project and subsequent projects.
- Demonstrable experience of working in the aviation industry, preferably in an innovation context.
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills with a proven ability in working effectively with a wide range of stakeholders at a senior level.
- Experience of delivering a secretariat function with exceptional attention to detail.
- Able to produce accurate written documents in a variety of styles to a high standard.
- Demonstrable financial expertise to provide effective management of project budgets.
- Experience in managing/leading complex projects/programmes.
- Experience of government policies and research and innovation strategies
- Confident in working closely with diverse senior leaders or groups internally and externally, with an ability to persuade influence and motivate people and teams at all levels.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and collaboration skills.
- Strong understanding and experience working in either advanced air mobility or sustainable aviation fuel (including an understanding of ASTM D4054 and ASTM D7566 pathways).
- Able to identify opportunities and design effective activities to deliver business transformation.
- Effective communicator
- Excellent attention to detail
- Thorough understanding of the industry; strong personal network of senior figures in many companies and demonstrable reputation for representing business at conferences and workshops.
- Demonstrable leadership in key technologies (or equivalent) with excellent links into key UK research centres.
- Representative on key networks/ committees which shape UK strategy.
- Track record in knowledge transfer and innovation, demonstrating the impact of such experience
- Demonstrable track record of managing large, multi-scale and multiple international programmes (or programmes of international impact)
- Leadership of teams of people, through projects involving innovation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate confidently and build effective relationships
- Team player with good relationship building and influencing skills; enjoys working in a collaborative manner in an open, honest, and diverse environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and persuasively across multi-disciplinary teams and stakeholders, explaining complicated matters simply
- High level of IT literacy
- A self-starter with a proactive approach
- Strong leadership capability with the ability to motivate and inspire others
- Ability to look continuously for opportunities for improvement and to develop strategies for change to influence and shape the future direction for activities and programmes
- This role has a salary between £44,000 to £55,000 pa depending on experience.
- 28 days annual leave plus 8 bank holidays.
- Enhanced Pension Plan.
- Life Assurance.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Wider Wallet employee benefits high street discounts scheme.
- Opportunities for continuous professional development as part of our Talent & Development Programme.
This advert will close on Monday 22nd August 2022 at 5.00pm (BST), though some circumstances may require us to close earlier, so early application is advised.
First interviews to be held w/c 29th August.
Second Interviews to be held w/c 12th September.
Please apply by submitting a tailored cover letter outlining your suitability with specifics relating to the requirements of the role, and your CV outlining your experience.
The postholder will be home based or out of our London, Harwell or Edinburgh offices with frequent UK travel.
Applicants must have the existing and ongoing right to work in the UK without restrictions as sponsorship for visas is not provided. Unfortunately, owing to the high number of applications received, we can only provide feedback to applicants selected for interview.
Should you wish to discuss this opportunity further, please contact the Recruitment Team by email to email@example.com.