Automotive Transformation Fund expression of interest: August 2020
UK registered businesses can apply for a share of up to £1 billion for R&D and capital projects that help industrialise the electrified automotive supply chain at scale in the UK.
For industry led research projects, your total grant funding must not exceed 50% of your total eligible project costs. This is regardless of the individual partners’ grant claims. Of that 50%, you could get funding for your eligible project costs of up to 70% depending on business size. For capital projects the grant available is dependent on the proposed project and will be determined during the second stage of the application process. The grant requested should be the minimum required to ensure sustainability of the investment.
Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC)
The Automotive Transformation Fund is a new programme that aims to establish a competitive and sustainable UK supply chain.
It offers a share of up to £1 billion of funding for industrial research and capital projects. This will be to support the industrialisation of a high-value, electrified automotive supply at scale in the UK.
This is an expression of interest (EoI) competition. If your application is successful you will be invited to apply to one of the full stage competition strands:
- Research and development (R&D).
- Capital investment.
If your project includes both R&D and capital investment you will have to apply for both full stage competitions.
To lead a project or work alone your organisation must:
- be a UK registered business of any size
- carry out its project work in the UK
- exploit the results from or in the UK
- address the requirements of the Automotive Transformation Fund
Your project must have a potential automotive application.
You can submit more than one application. Each application can focus on research and development (R&D), capital investment, or both.
Your proposal must prioritise the scale up in areas mentioned in the Automotive Transformation Strategy. This includes but is not limited to:
- motors and drives
- power electronics
- fuel cell
- recycling of any of the above
Your project can focus on one or more of the following.
- cathode materials and manufacturing
- anode materials and manufacturing
- cell assembly components (including separators)
- cell or module assembly
- cell testing
- battery pack components
- battery pack assembly and test
Motors and drives:
- magnet materials and manufacturing
- electrical steel materials and manufacturing
- electrical machine assembly
- drive line components
- assembly and test into complete drive unit
- wide band gap semi-conductors
- power electronics assembly
- bipolar plates
- gas diffusion layer
- air handling systems
- balance of power
- fuel cell stack assembly
- storage tanks
- fuel delivery (where specifically required for development purposes)
- fuel cells
- power electronics
The Automotive Transformation Fund provides detailed information on the specific themes of this competition.
We are not funding R&D that involves low-carbon fuels development.